Never underestimate the power of a good question! Here are 60 great questions from The Princeton Review to ask your tour guide on your next college tour:
- Why did you choose this school?
- Are you happy here?
- What are your school’s strengths?
- What’s your #1 complaint about your school?
- What else could stand to be improved?
How accessible are administrators, registrars, financial aid officers, etc.?
- What majors are popular?
- What departments or programs have the best reputations?
- What’s your favorite class?
- Are your professors good teachers?
- Do your professors hold office hours, and will they meet with you outside of class?
- Are most of your classes taught by professors or teaching assistants?
- Were you able to take most of your first-choice classes?
- Are your classes lecture-based or discussion-based?
- How much reading and writing is required in your courses?
- How often are collaborative work or group presentations required?
- How satisfied are you with academic advising?
- Do students use any on-campus tutoring programs or writing centers?
- How big are your classes?
- Does your major require an independent study or capstone project ?
- Are professors available for research with students?
- Is it popular to study abroad?
- What’s it like to be a first-year student here?
- What’s a typical day like?
- How much time do students spend studying per week?
- What do you do when you’re not in class?
- What do you do on the weekends?
- What is the social scene like?
- What kinds of things are there to do in your school’s hometown?
- How’s the food?
- Do most students live on-campus?
- How are the dorms?
- Which clubs and student organizations are popular?
- Do lots of students belong to fraternities or sororities?
- What’s your favorite place on campus?
- Where do you like to study?
- What are the facilities like (science labs, libraries, theaters, gyms, etc.)?
- Are there enough computer labs?
- How is the WiFi on campus?
- Is it easy to get around campus?
- Are sports popular?
- Is there a lot of school spirit?
- How would you describe your fellow students?
- Are the students here friendly?
- What makes the student body unique?
- Is there diversity on campus?
- Are there many students from other countries?
- Do students of different races and classes interact easily?
- Are students cliquish?
- Are internships available? How do you find them?
- Is Career Services helpful?
- Do you have a mentor?
- Does your school have a co-op program?
- Are there opportunities to build leadership skills on campus?
- What options exist for service learning in the community?
- Do employers recruit students on campus?
- How easy is it to find summer jobs and other kinds of work through your school?
- Who are some of the notable graduates from your college?
- How visible is your school’s alumni association on campus?
- What kinds of hands-on or practical experiences have you had in and outside of the classroom?
You’ll learn a lot about each college campus you tour by asking these questions! To learn more on college planning, including how to apply and how to get accepted with financial aid, schedule a private one-on-one consult with one of our Experts!