Ben has over a decade of experience as a teacher, researcher, and college advisor. He received his B.A. in philosophy from the University of California, Berkeley and his M.A. in philosophy from the University of California, Los Angeles. As a graduate student, in addition to philosophy, he studied French, ancient Greek, took courses at the UCLA School of Law, and served as a Teaching Associate for a variety of undergraduate classes.
He’s worked as a full-time college advisor for the past 9 years and is especially passionate about helping students navigate the many labyrinths of the college admissions process. Essays, whether it be brainstorming, outlining, or polishing, are by far his favorite part of the job. He’s also passionate about working with younger students, helping them identify subjects and activities they’re passionate about and find colleges they love.
Summary of Background
• Former Head Counselor of one of the Bay Area’s largest college consulting firms. He’s worked with 1,000+ students from 8th-12th grade, helping them build their resumes, find their passions, and of course, apply to college.
• 3+ years working as a high school college counselor.
• 10+ years of experience teaching philosophy and English to over 500 students.
• Experience in all types of applications and essays: everything from University of California system to B.S./M.D. programs to United Kingdom schools such as Oxford and Cambridge.
• Helped students gain acceptances into schools such as UC Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Emory, Brown, Swarthmore, Cornell, California Institute of Technology, Northwestern, UCLA, and many more.
• Member of National Association for College Admissions Counseling